Check In With Your Sponsor
New US government regulations for the Summer Work Travel Program mandate that students must check-in with their sponsor within 10 days of arrival in the USA. Failure to check-in within 10 days will result in program termination. Termination means student’s status in SEVIS will be inactive, student cannot legally work in the USA, will not have medical insurance, and will need
to return home immediately, and will have difficulty obtaining any type of US visa in the future.
Apply For the Social Security Card
Students will apply at the Social Security Administration’s (SSA) office located at 2414 Northgate Drive, Salisbury, MD. The office is approximately 30 miles from Ocean City. The office is
open 8:30 AM to 3:30 PM, except Wednesdays (office closes at 12 PM on Wednesdays).
Transportation to the SSA office in Salisbury:
Students may take the Shore Transit bus from WOC Park and Ride lot. Routes 451 or 431 will travel between Ocean City & Salisbury. A bus change must be made at the Salisbury Transfer
Point to Route 111 to go to the SS office.
The fare is $3.00 per bus or $12.00 round trip. Allow two hours to get to the SS office.
When applying with SSA, you must bring the following:
- Your passport with J-1 VISA
- I-94 Arrival/Departure Record (go to following website to obtain your I-94 admission record: CBP.gov/194)
- DS-2019 Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor (J-1) Status
After applying, SSA will give you a letter stating that you have applied. Give a copy of this letter to your employer. You may begin working before you receive your Social Security Card. It is illegal for an employer to withhold your wages because you don’t have your SS Card yet. You must be paid for the time you work, regardless of whether or not you have
been assigned a SS number.
Protect Your Money – Open a Bank Account
To keep your money safe, you should open a bank account (checking or savings) Search different bank branches in the area to find “Free Student Accts”
- DO NOT keep large sums of cash on your person or at your apartment
- If you receive a debit card when opening a bank acct., DO NOT give your PIN (personal identification number) to anyone, and keep your card in a safe place with you at all times!
Keep your documents safe
- For identification purposes, you must have your passport or other photo ID with you at all times.
- NEVER give your passport or documents to anyone (landlords/employers) to keep. It is illegal for anyone to take them for any reason.
- Make a copy of your passport & documents and keep them in a very safe place.
- Report your lost/stolen passport or documents immediately to the Ocean City Police Department and your sponsor.