The U.S. monetary system follows the decimal system. The basic unit is the dollar “$”. The most widely used bills are in denominations of $1, $5, $10 and $20. Occasionally, a bill of $2, $50 or $100 may be seen. Each dollar is divided into 100 cents. Currency in the form of a coin is: 1 cent (penny), 5 cents (nickel), 10 cents (dime), and 25 cents (quarter).
Value of a Dollar
Following is a list of average prices:
- Cup of coffee$1.50
- Espresso-based Drink$3.50
- Hamburger, fries & drink$9 – $11
- Lunch at a restaurant$10 – $15
- Movie Theater (cinema)$9 – $14
- Letter stamp in U.S.$.49 cents
Most states in the U.S. charge a sales tax on tangible personal property and services, such as clothing, restaurant and fast food meals, services, newspapers, books, toiletries, etc. The sales tax varies; in the state of Maryland it is 6%. Sales taxes are added at the register, so be prepared for your bill to be more than the price tag on an item. In Ocean City, an additional 1% sales tax is added. The state of Delaware has no sales tax.
Tipping, also known as gratuity, is giving a small amount of money to another person for a service. These are the most often tipped services:
- Waiter/waitress18% of food bill
- Barbers/hairdressers18% of bill
- Taxi drivers10% – 15% of fare
- Food delivery personsNo less than $5
You should never
tip police officers, physicians, government employees or university employees. It may be interpreted as a bribe, which is illegal. You do not
tip bus drivers, theater ushers, museum guides, salespeople, employees at fast food restaurants or hotel clerks.
Ocean City is located on the East Coast of Maryland, on the Delmarva Peninsula. Following is the distance from Ocean City to a few major metropolitan areas:
Other Locations outside Ocean City
- Baltimore, Maryland135 miles, 2.5 hour drive
- New York, NY235 miles, 4.5 hour drive
- Washington, DC170 miles, 3.5 hour drive